10.14.2013

Field Trip

In the last few months I've been taking a few trips out of Santa Cruz.  Yes...it's a lovely place, but I have to get away occasionally to see my family and friends.  A few friends live in Oakland and one in particular was having an open house at his rather large wood shop.  I ventured up to check it out...where I realized that I ought to say he shares a shop, because no one individual needs a space like this:  


Yes...it's big and yes...that door in the back is probably 25 feet tall.  The building was originally a Navy hangar built for the construction of jets.  For the last couple decades however, it's been a place of cabinet making and fine woodworking.  And while I'm sure it gets cold and drafty in the winter, the voluminous space easily squeezes in this monster bandsaw.  Add at least 5 or 6 table saws and you've got a pretty busy work floor.  


Extra bonus:  attached to the woodshop is a piano restoration company.  As a non-piano player, I still found the key playing mechanism to be intriguing and beautiful.  Maybe with this mock-up, I really could follow through with my dad's primary build request...table/desk/chair/piano.  Here is the inner-workings of a single grand piano key; kind of reminds me of 'Mouse Trap'.