6.07.2014

/ Desk / Chair

Umm...Table?  Where are you?

Yes, that is a deserved question.  One full month has passed and nary a new blog post to be found.  Apologies, I've been somewhat busy...going on vacations, coding, working in the shop without adding posts and (exciting!) reveling in my first email addressed specifically to this blog:  tabledeskchairblog@gmail.com!  Let me share this moment with you.

From Kent, and titled 'Unikgarden rattan furniture':

Dear Purchasing Manager, 

Good day to you !

Glad to know that you are on the market of Rattan furniture.

We are professional manufacturer for all kinds of garden wicker furnitures since 2007.We are specicalized in the design,development and production of rattan furniture,garden furniture and patio furniture.Our products are exported and marketed to many countries,especially Europe and America.

Please contact us if any interests .Thank you!

Best regards
Kent



------------------

Zhejiang Unikgarden Leisure Furniture Co.,Ltd


Add: Shangtian Industrial Aare,Fenghua,Ningbo,China
Skype: lee.kent75

Now if that ain't success...my little blog is big news in China!  Ok, I'm sorry...no offense intended Kent to you or your rattan business, it's just that I'm not a purchasing manager, though it is invariably a more lucrative position than furniture maker.  Alas, this is my chosen destiny (oxymoron?) and I might as well get on with it.  So, good luck to Unikgarden, the San Antonio Spurs and to this final piece, because it's table time!  Or...let's talk table!

There is a reason why table came last in this making process...over these seven or eight months, I've never had just the right idea or design.  One idea led to another, which led to another, which led to me starting with the chair followed by the desk.  I did eventually work out a nice design for a dining table, but I eventually realized that I had neither the space nor the savings to build something big.  Dimensions shrunk and I've come to settle on a side table influenced by Carl Malmsten and made of maple with a glass top.

3 sketches:




If you must know, this is a very simple piece...intentionally.  After two difficult/lengthy constructions, I realized I wanted to build something quickly and easily but without sacrificing beauty.  Two or three weeks is the goal, with the consequent that my blogging will be more consistent and frequent, in other words...Rapid. Fire. Blogging.  Hold me accountable everybody! 

Ok...the first real photograph of the table, here's the maple.  Look how little wood I had to buy!  Something like thirty dollars from Jackel.  I LOVE little tables.  




A better shot of the grain...very hard to find maple with lines this straight and tight, it's going to spoil me.

Joinery begins in earnest next blog post, I'm going to say Wednesday.  It's good to be back!