6.21.2014

Brass

So...did I ever explicitly mention that this piece included brass?  I know it's been evident in my drawings, but that's a detail that could easily be missed.  Not exactly knowing the answer and uninterested in reading through my blog posts, I'm just going to say:  there is brass in this piece!  A little touch of shiny elegance.  I'll be including said alloy by inlaying a thin square rod into the interior of the frame.  Interior you ask?  Isn't that kind of like putting a light under a bowl?  Well, yes it is...and it sounds like a good idea to me!  Basically, I want to keep it subtle...to have it be a surprise for the user when light and angle of view line up just right for a reflection.  

I ordered a 3/16" x 3/16" 6' foot long piece of brass from McMaster-Carr...online for all your ferrous metal and hard plastic needs...and started to work.



There's the brass and here's the groove Ill be making.  *First finger shot of the blog...8 months in I actually think that's pretty good.


The groove for the mitered-mortise members (mmm...tasty) are easy.  I'm able to run the piece all the way through the slot cutter without worry.  But for the m-tenon-m, I can't do that because the cut would go through the tenon, exposing it on the outside of the frame.  For these two pieces, I have to start and stop the cut within the wood, see below.  


It's really not the big of a challenge.  Here they are!


And here is the brass...fit snugly within it's groove.



After cutting the brass to length with a hacksaw, it's home and looking pretty good...even though it's a little thicker than it needs to be.  For the moment however, that's perfect as I need it to be higher than the maple for me to epoxy and clamp it in place.  


After the epoxy cured, I could flush it up with the maple.  I started by filing.  It worked pretty well, but slowly.  Noah recommended a scraper, which I thought was kind of crazy, but boy was I wrong...brass is a SOFT metal.  



Flaky and shiny brass!


Pretty bright there...I guess we will see soon if it's possible for this to be subtle regardless of the location.  Stay with me for a few more posts and this table will be done.