9.17.2013

Shaping the Crest Rail and Glue up

The chair is only going to have one back support (no lumbar rest for the lower back) so this large chunk of wood needs to be very comfortable.  It stayed in a square block shape during the joinery, but before glue up, I have to take most of the mass off.  Similar to finding nice grain for the back legs, it's best to find a piece of wood out of your stock that will have symmetrical grain lines when cut.  This particular piece has wavy face grain, but it's not too bad.  Glue up is next.



Gluing up is always a stressful event for me.  Lots of nerves and shaking hands as a failed glue up is kind of a catastrophe.  Joints are tight without the glue, so when you add it, the joinery can often seize and stop moving when the tenon is only half way in.  Fortunately, with the help of my shop mate, this one was a mix of scary and smooth.  


Here's the crest rail following the glue up and some preliminary shaping.  Symmetrical grain structure is a little easier to note in this picture.  I will shape this piece a lot before it's all said and done, but won't finalize the curves until I can sit down and put my back against it.  Maybe a month...if I'm movin'.