1.26.2014

Blame it on the Rain

One drought is over...I've finally added a new post!  Yeah, Yeah...I know that rain would be better, but that I cannot affect.

So, winter break has finally passed and it's now time to get serious and get on with my desk.  I did have one previous post in my blog regarding desk design...you can find it here.  The plans have since changed, but I did not discard all of the earlier ideas.  Now, you might be wondering if my indecisive desk designing will change again (fair question), the answer is no...I've already cut into my wood and started the making.  So for better or worse, this is my desk:  



Got it?  Hmm...probably not.  These crappy drawings inspire and inform me, but for others...it may just be a collection of backwards y's.  I'll try words now.  

Through all iterations of my desk, I've imagined storage not as a drawer, but as a negative space at the back of the desk.  An earlier design would have included a metal lid flush with the desktop hiding the storage area.  Potentially nice, but I didn't like the idea of box construction underneath the desk.  What I really wanted was a storage space that integrates into or flows with the structure of the piece.  Hence, the y.  Inspired by watching too many Swedish traditional crafts videos (in tow with Max and Noah), the back leg is meant to appear hewn in half ax-style with the resulting wishbone serving as storage.  The back rest will be solid and the underside, the angled side, will be caned.  Books, chargers, miscellaneous items will fit snugly into this crevice space...ideally.  What about pencils?  Well, I have a cool idea for that, but I'm going to hold on to it for awhile.  

Anyways, that's the design!  Now I have to make it...and it starts with the back legs again.  Using the drawing, I made a template of the leg by poking holes through the paper onto a 1/4" piece of plywood.  With the holes transferred, all I do is connect the dots on the ply...how fun! which creates what mysterious shape? A back leg of a desk!


Skipping bandsaw action, I've got my legs.


I've forgotten to mention the wood type...it is not oak.  Unbelievable.  It is however, intermediate brown in color...which is embarrassingly consistent in my work.  This is elm (same as Recognizer, my first piece at CR) that came from a line of felled trees from San Jose State University.  So...all you Spartans out there, if you are looking for a nice desk born from the grounds of your alma mater, this will be done in a matter of weeks.